editing your blogger template with CSS

If you've ever tried to customize your blogger page template, you might have run into something called CSS, or "cascading style sheets." I don't know very much about these, although now I know more than I when I first started this blog.

I want to point you to a video tutorial on CSS, at Sitepoint. When I first tried to tweak the look of my blog (widening the main text column and the header, for example), I just used a whole lot of trial and error as I edited the template. I wish I would have seen this video first, it would have gone much more quickly.

It runs about 17 minutes, and if you want the additional videos in the series, you have to pay, but the first one is free. It's a great overview, explaining both the "why" and the "how" of CSS, nice and slowly. You definitely need a very basic understanding of web coding in html if this is going to be useful to you, however.

CSS Video Tutorial

There's also an overview video of AJAX here, the technology behind most of the fancy web applications that keep popping up.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey, I'm going to give this a try! Thanks for deciphering. I always assume that I am not tech savvy enough for this stuff, but there is always something that makes it a little more accessible.